From: "William Robb"
----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Colen"
Subject: Re: Used fixer?

>I seem to recall that you could put steel wool in used fixer, a magic
> REDOX reaction would occur and the silver would plate itself onto the
> steel.
>
> I also remember that you didn't get enough out to make it worth the
> bother other than as a fun chem demo.

The silver recovery cartridges that photo labs use for recovery are essentially a 5 gallon pail packed with steel wool. They aren't quite that simple, and I believe the steel wool isn't quite the same as what comes in a Bulldog package.

William Robb

All I know is the "new" column is really light when it comes in. I can lift it out of the barrel with one hand.

The used column it replaces is so heavy I can barely lift it to get it into the barrel to ship back.