Thanks, Bob.  I'll definitely check these out.  Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob W" <p...@web-options.com>
To: "'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:00 PM
Subject: Two books

I snapped up a couple of interesting photo books today.

How To Read A Photograph, by Ian Jeffries. Jeffries has a good track record
writing about photography and I have 2 or 3 of his other books, and have
even read them. This new one is an overview of the canon of photography,
with several examples from each of the greats along with his critical
reading of the photographs shown, and some background about the
photographer. I haven't had it long enough to have really gone through in
detail, but just from the comments I have looked at so far I've learned new
things about old favourites.

The Photograph: Composition and Colour Design, by Harald Mante. I have his 2
earlier books about composition, which have been out of print for many
years. I think they're both from the 1970s. Photo Design, the first, is
about black and white and is probably the most useful book I've seen about
photographic composition. This new book is a kind of mix of the 2 earlier
ones, reusing some of the material and not as well laid out in my opinion.
Nevertheless, it is still a very interesting guide to photographic
composition and worth having if you can't find the older ones.

Bob