I still read two newspapers a day, "The Australian", which is a national
newspaper, and "The Courier-Mail", which is a state publication.  The
quality difference is enormous, the "Oz" being a serious broadsheet with
good separation of news, editorial, and opinion, while the "CM" is a
hopelessly tabloid rag.  It does contain more local news, of course,
particularly on the machinations of our state government and Brisbane City
Council (which is larger than any other in the country, and has a budget
bigger than some of our Territories), and is thus needed to keep an eye on
the local villainy.

IMHO, the day the last newspaper is printed will be a day of mourning: I
certainly do not want to get my news from only the electronic media - I note
that even when Cotty or Bob W give us links to BBC News items, they are
often preceded by ads.

There is also a long list of things you can't do with electronic media,
including:

Spread it all over the bed or couch.
Pass a section to a neighbour.
Read it three weeks(or months or years or centuries) later.
Wrap the garbage in it.
Put it under the litter tray

... and many more I can't think of right now.

John in Brisbane