I thought about it pretty hard, chatting with a buddy at work. The
reality of the situation is that I just cannot afford to go for it
right now. It's very tempting, but having thrown close to $1000 at
gear in the past couple of weeks (K20, spare charger, spare batteries,
katzeye), not to mention some emergency bills at home, it's tough for
me to justify the purchase.

If I could get $250 for the DA40 and talk him down to $350, I could
almost rationalize $100 to upgrade, but the delta would probably be
closer to $200. And, if I had $200 for upgrading gear, it would be
better spent selling my 50/2.8 macro to get a 100mm macro.

I'll just have to hope that another one comes up sometime when my
finances aren't so tight.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 07:02:36PM -0700, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> The FA43 Limited is without question my very favoritest Pentax lens.

Godfrey, you really are not helping here.

> It is fast, has a unique and beautiful imaging signature, and is
> delightfully well made. I had a DA40 for a time and while the DA40 is
> very nearly its equal on resolution and contrast, it doesn't have
> quite the same rendering qualities and is a little more than a stop

It sounds like it has all the traits I love about my 31 and 77.

> The standard FA43 lens hood is a thin ring about 8mm deep. It was
> designed for a 35mm film camera and does a reasonably good job for
> that. But if you're going to use the lens on a Pentax DSLR, it should
> be fitted with a much deeper hood. I fitted mine with a B+W "Normal"
> screw in metal hood (approximately an inch or 24mm deep) the day I
> received it. It balances beautifully on either the *ist DS or K10D
> bodies.

The hood would be an issue if I used it to replace my 40, because the
main point of the 40 is to turn my K100 into a psuedo pocket camera.

> Again, my favorite Pentax lens. Almost enough of a favorite to keep me
> shooting with Pentax gear for it alone.

That's a Markable quote.

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.