Christine Aguila wrote:
<snip>
Me:  Then we would need to talk terms, right?

consulting assistant: (He begrudgingly hands me his business card and doesn't look too happy.)

Everybody wants something for nothing.

A few years ago in Rochester I took a great shot of the start of the Lilac Festival 10k: Head on view through a 300mm lens of all the runners coming toward the camera, with former U.S. Olympic team member John Tuttle in the middle and leading. There was a late spring that year and there were almost no lilacs blooming - except for the big patch I got in the background of this photo.

I had it on my web site, of course, and the following spring one of the organizers of the race asked if I'd let them use the photo in their race promotions. I said, "Yes", of course, "for an appropriate fee". He suggested (predictably to all of you by now) that I should let them use the shot for free because it would be good promotion for me.

Here's my response: "The fact that you found my image and liked it enough to use it is proof that I don't *need* any additional promotion. What I do need is money and that's what I require in return for use of my work."

Never heard back from them.

The same kind of thing has happened to me many times :(

Now the concept is becoming institutionalized with things like the CNN "iReport", which is just photos and videos shot by passers-by of news events and sent in to CNN. With, of course, no compensation paid to the "iReporter". They never meet the standards that one would expect from a professional photographer or videographer, but they *do*, as a whole, take work away from the Paul Stenquists and Cottys of the world.