Mark Roberts wrote:

Christine wrote ...[ snip snip]
Everybody wants something for nothing.

A few years ago in Rochester I took a great shot of the start of the Lilac Festival 10k: Head on view through a 300mm lens of all the runners coming toward the camera, with former U.S. Olympic team member John Tuttle in the middle and leading. There was a late spring that year and there were almost no lilacs blooming - except for the big patch I got in the background of this photo. I had it on my web site, of course, and the following spring one of the organizers of the race asked if I'd let them use the photo in their race promotions. I said, "Yes", of course, "for an appropriate fee". He suggested (predictably to all of you by now) that I should let them use the shot for free because it would be good promotion for me. Here's my response: "The fact that you found my image and liked it enough to use it is proof that I don't *need* any additional promotion. What I do need is money and that's what I require in return for use of my work."

Never heard back from them.

The same kind of thing has happened to me many times :(

Me too -- and my photos at this point are the only thing keeping a roof over my head besides my ss check....

I dig a gig where I photo'ed an "event" the showing of a film on the little known poet Htam Plutzik... followed by a panel discussion... I got paid for the shoot and a CD for the PLutzik foundation, and I made public for viewing
on the web on my site the shots I took...

The panel moderator asked if he could have the "wonderful photo" I took of him for his website... I said if he wanted the photo on his site he could buy a jpg file from me on a "pay what you will' basis , but he could also just include a link on his web site to the photo on my web site for no fee.
Never heard back from him, either....

sigh
ann