I find no problem in repairing older 35mm gear.

His LX lasted nearly 30 years. I'd be surprised if any digital camera
available today would be operational half that long (other than museum
pieces that never got used).

If the repair doesn't cost too much and he can get another couple
decades of service out of it, why not?

--
~Nick David Wright
http://www.nickdavidwright.com/