On Mar 20, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Joseph McAllister wrote:

Manufacturers of many items have jumped on the computer/software model of "constant upgrading and forced retirement through lack of support" because they have realized that it is much more profitable, and users will always want the newest trick in the catalog. If they don't, well, the software won't run on the new machines anymore and/ or, the new machines won't run that old software anymore. I refer to it as the "technology churn".

I wouldn't blame just the manufacturers. The latest wave of camera users seems to never be satisfied either, always wanting the latest new camera in the hopes that it will turn some magic on and make their pictures glow. Forlorn hopes. Most never find out what their current equipment can actually do.

Huntington Witherall refers to this as the "hamster wheel of progress" ;-)

Yes, my Speed Graphic still works just fine. But the film is getting hard to find, and worse, soon I won't be able to get it processed, or printed.

All my Minox subminiature cameras are in fine working order, and I have a few hundred rolls of film in the freezer for them. Someday I'll make some more Minox photographs.

Godfrey