Thanks to all for your comments.

(To clarify one point: it is true that the purpose of the trip (for my wife anyway) is to see the sights and enjoy and explore a new place. However, much of my pleasure in travel is the challenge of capturing images that will go beyond postcards in representing the essence of a locale. So, the purpose is not photography but photography is nevertheless an important part of the trip.)

To summarize, everyone who has commented agrees with the principle that fewer lenses is better. Now, we know that this is not true as a general conclusion, but for the particular case of a non-photo tourist trip, less is more. Some advocate a few primes, more advocate a mix of one good zoom plus a prime or two to cover additional FOV's, and some would opt for the two-zoom solution.

Sasha's comment about reviewing past trips to see what has been used is an excellent one. In fact my brother (and fellow Pentaxian) told me the same thing when I discussed this dilemma with him last week. So, I pulled up the Lightroom data...

On my Venice trip two years ago my "primary" camera was a K10D, my secondary was a *ist-D. This time both cameras are the same (K20) and some of the lenses are different so the data doesn't exactly apply, but for what it is worth, here is the profile:

Primary (K10)
14               89 images
16-45      37 images
21              985
50-200  638
43              351
77              721
100     73

Secondary (*ist-D)
14              0
16-45   166
21              8
50-200  71
43              72
77              73
100             19

Conclusions that might be drawn:
• On this trip I used my secondary camera relatively little.
• When I did use the secondary, it was mostly with the wide zoom.
• The 21mm was the most used lens overall (and at the times I had that on my primary, the 50-200 was probably on my secondary). • The 77mm was the second-most used lens (and at the times I had that on my primary, the 16-45 was probably on the secondary).
• The long zoom was used more than the wide zoom.

What surprised me most when going back and looking at the data was the relatively light use of the 16-45 and the heavy use of the 21.

Consolidated, rank-ordered data:

21              993
77              794
50-200  709
43              423
16-45   203
100               92
14                89

My tentative travel kit, based on your comments and on this data:

1. Outdoor, streets and scenics: P = 50-135, S = 21
2. Indoors, churches and such:   P = 77 , S = 16-50
3. Evening walking-around kit: S = 43 [unless I cannot resist the temptation of the new 55/1.4!] 4. The 14 and 100 will stay home. As will the 50mm's and the 135. I'll probably stick in the AF1.7x as Bob Sullivan suggests. Although I have been pondering the possibility of taking the 14 and leaving behind the 16-50...

[ P = primary, with vertical grip; S = Secondary, no grip.]

Thanks again to all for your good comments and suggestions.
Even you Joe! I am not sure if you were serious with your suggestion of the X70, but that was an option I had considered.

stan