On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 08:29:13PM -0400, eactiv...@aol.com wrote:

> ============
> I'm  glad he is okay. You'd think because the car flipped, the airbags would
> have  deployed. Odd.

Not at all, that's not the sort of acceleration that airbags protect
against. Airbags protect you when you drive into a brick wall. Unless,
of course, you're short. If you're under 5'2" or something, then an
airbag deploying is as likely to break your neck as it is to save your
life.

There is also the detail that if you were driving down a mountain
road, and you were to hit a deer, and it were to cause the airbag to
deploy, you would no longer be able to steer your car and could end up
driving off a cliff because of the airbag deploying. If this were to
happen, the car company would be under a fair amount of financial
liability, so they want to make sure that airbags don't deploy unless
they are really needed.

In short, the car has to hit something very hard in order for the
airbags to deploy.

As to the cars with all of the side airbags, I've heard that having
them deploy can do things like rupturing your eardrums.

You do know that you are not supposed to drive with your thumb wrapped
around the steering wheel if you have airbags? If you hit something
and the airbag deploys, and your thumb is "inside the steering wheel",
the airbag exploding and throwing your arms to the side, will likely
break both of your thumbs.

If your hands are at the top of the steering wheel and the airbag
deploys, it'll slam your arm and hand into your face. Want to know
what it's like to be punched in the face by Jackie Chan?

> Makes me feel less unprotected by my airbags  now.

Don't worry, on average they are supposed to protect more people than
they harm, and it's a lot easier than putting effort into improving
one's driving.

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.