I'm not sure the digital SLR is in limbo. I think it's gaining more acceptance with
the working pros every day. And the manufacturers will have to meet that demand. There
are about a dozen major studios in the Detroit area that shoot large format. These are
the really big studios, the ten to fifteen thousand dollar per day guys who shoot the
car company print advertising and other commercial jobs. Almost all of them are
working exclusively in digital, with the multi CCD backs on the large format cameras.
Their clients are loving it for a number of reasons of which time
and immediate evaluation are two of the more important ones. These same clients hire a
lot of field photographers who shoot mainly MF. I've heard that many of the clients
are asking for digital.
     I won't be shooting digital for a long time to come, perhaps I never will. And I
think a lot of other hobbyists and lower tier pros feel the same way. So the market
for high end digital won't be gigantic. But it is important, and there's a need that
has to be filled. This market can only grow. It won't get smaller.
Paul