William Robb wrote:

From: "Larry Colen" Subject: Re: point and shoot

This really sucks.  I just want something simple that I can pull up to
my eye and then throw the photos out on the web when I get home.  But
all I see is chimp-approved plastic junk with smile recognition.  WTF
happened to cameras?  Am I the only person in the whole wide world
that doesn't want a zillion worthless features at the expense of
something functional?

Most of those features are purely software, so don't add anything to
production cost.

Software writers work for free?
No wonder I hammer nails for a living.

Well, they can re-use basically the same code on lots of different cameras, and when you work out the cost per camera it almost *is* free.

What also wouldn't cost a lot more would be to have a feature which disabled all the other "features" so that we purists could also enjoy the camera. Perhaps some manufacturer will implement this someday...