On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 08:21:54PM +0100, Bob W wrote:
> > > It is huge.  Biggest wind farm in California  I think.
> > >
> > > Not as many birds as there used to be . .  .
> >
> > No coincidence, I fear.
> >

> > ============
> > Yeah, I know. I've  been reading about that. People
> > protesting those big
> > blades are taking out too  many birds.
> >

> Here in Britain the RSPB, which I think is the world's biggest birding
> organisation, is strongly in favour of wind farms. The threat to habitats
> globally, and therefore to the birds and other animals, is much greater than
> the threat from wind farms, and wind farms can be a significant factor in
> reducing dependence on fossil fuels and other major pollutants. OF course,
> the wind farms have to be planned properly, taking wildlife into account.
> You can't just stick 'em anywhere.

That's the problem. The easiest place for wind farms is often a pass
or somesuch, where the surrounding geography channels the airflow.
Unfortunately that's also quite often the best route for any birds
trying to get from one side of the hills to the other side.

The Altamont Pass in California - not too far from where Marnie was
taking her photographs - is probably one of the most notorious cases.