On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 08:55:22AM -0500, Charles Robinson wrote:
> It's funny that one of the major features that I love about Lightroom
> is something that others find to be a pain.
>
> The importing for me is just a minor step.  I love the fact that I can
> locate images from 3 years ago in just a few seconds - and LR even
> "knows" which DVD or disk image I need to bring up to get at the image
> (but has a little thumbnail already in there so I know that I've found
> what I'm looking for).

Perhaps you can tell me how to handle an issue. My iMac doesn't have
huge amounts of disk space, and it's not trivial to add a bigger
drive. So my process:

1) copy the files from my SD card onto my linux desktop (with huge
disks).

2) scp them over to my iMac in the (this year) pictures 2009
   directory.

3) Import that directory into lightroom.

This is where it starts getting unweildy. Since I shoot a lot (I
average about 80-100 frames a day) I end up with 5-10 directories
(folders) of files a week. Every couple of months I need to to start a
new library so that the library doesn't become unwieldy. Changing
between libraries is a PiTA. It has to close and restart LR.

Problem 1)
A card may have several sessions from a day. Yesterday I shot some
flowers at the office, some farm machinery by the road and at a dance.

I can create subdirectories, and move photos from the top level
directory into lower directories, but they still show up, so I can't
easily choose between what is left. In other words, I move photos out
of the top level directory, but they still show up in the top level
directory.

Problem 2)

I've realized that having pix2009 is not right, under pix2009 I should
have 0901, 0902, 0903 with shots from January, Feb, March etc. Since I
name my files by date then subject 090401_flowers, 090328_birds etc
it's trivial to move the files into new subdirectories:

mkdir p0901
mv 0901* p0901
mkdir p0902
mv 0902* p0902

with a few minutes of work I could write a bash script to do
this. But, as I understand it, Lightroom will get confused because it
still thinks that those files are under pix2009 not pix2009/p0901
pix2009/p0902 etc.

Problem 3)
Every so often my internal drive fills up, and I have to move the
directories over to an external drive, and I've got no idea how
lightroom will handle that if I go back to edit old files.

With bibble, the .bib files for each photo were in the same directory
as the raw file.

My problem with this software may be from the fact that I use a mac
because it's unix, rather than I'm using a unix machine because that's
what the mac UI is on top of. I prefer the intuitive command line to
the arcane and confusing graphical user interface.

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.