On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:47:28AM -0700, Jack Davis wrote:

> Initially there was a period, which I'm sure is/was the shooting practice of
> many of we more obsessional shooters, that I just had to go to the "post
> card" places to shoot my own version of those iconic scenes.
> Over the years and miles I've found that image search circle growing ever
> smaller 'til it now fits in my own back yard; (a pretty much standard size
> housing tract).

I'm amazed that I could probably spend hours shooting a roll of barbed
wire near my office, but have a hard time finding things worth
shooting in my own yard.

It might make a fun get together, have a roving potluck where we go to
each other's houses and find things to photograph in their yards and
around their houses.

Come to think of it, I've never gotten any shots that do my old growth
redwood stump justice.

> I am hoping to do a California coastal drive this spring and, maybe,
> a Colorado/Wyoming probe this fall. It's been awhile since last
> doing so.

If anybody needs a place to crash for shooting around Santa Cruz, drop
me a line. Yesterday I drove the 20 minutes over to Davenport to try
to get about an hour of shooting in before sunset:
Definitely let us know if you do. I popped over to Davenport yesterday
for a little shooting just before sunset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157616322123961/

When I got there, there were all sorts of birds flitting about, but
rather than putting the bigma on the monopod, I grabbed the 18-250 and
the tripod. I got a couple of OK shots, but nothing spectacular.

I headed back to the car to swap for the big lens and the monopod,
getting a bit distracted by some poppies, so by the time I swapped
things around, it was now a bit too dark to shoot, and the sun had
just gone down so the birds were in hiding.

It was at that point that I realized that my keys were in the trunk of
the car. With my tripod.  Fortunately, I was able to borrow a cell
phone to call my girlfriend to come rescue me.

So, here I was, someplace quite scenic, just after sunset, with my
tripod locked in the trunk of the car. Pretty much nothing I shot
while waiting turned out.

On the other hand, being stuck someplace with nothing to do but shoot
photos while I was waiting helped me see a lot more than I saw with
just the perfunctory glance.

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.