From: "Christine  Aguila"
Hi Everyone:

1) For this homework assignment, I tried my hand at playing a PJ/environmental portrait shooter. My colleague Liu was kind enough to play the subject--a famous artisan knitter :-) .

2) This was all done with window light only. I shot 106 shots, got the 1st cut down to 28, then picked these 8 for the gallery. Liu's niece, May, was with us, and for #2 she held a reflector photo left. The window light was coming from photo right.

3) We finished in the kitchen then Lui started showing May how to knit; I grabbed the camera and started shooting, but the 2 of them were standing in a darker part of the kitchen & I had to bump up the ISO to get it. What was amazing was how totally relaxed I became when shooting these spontaneous shots. When working in the living room for the more posed shots, I was so nervous and tense. The switch in feeling is so striking. Hopefully, the more I do this I'll learn to relax.

http://faculty.ccc.edu/caguila/liushoot/index.html

Comments welcome.
Cheers, Christine

Numbers 4 & 5 look like you hit the mark. Number 8 is a nice portrait.

A Photo-Journalist would be ready for the darker part of the kitchen in shot number 6 and would have an off camera fill - flash or reflector. I think a lower camera angle, bringing the faces more in line with the hands might improve the shot slightly.

Photo-Journalism is about story telling and numbers 5 & 6 tell a story.