On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:48:55AM -0400, JC OConnell scripsit:
> NO, I am not saying that "improved" SMC coatings may never give any
> visible flare performance over the original SMC coatings of 1971, but
> it is only going to be visible on really high element count lenses if
> at all, certainly not on prime 50mm lenses in the 5-8 element range
> and only if the transmission percentage is/has significantly improved
> from the 1971 figure of 99.8% which I doubt.

Every high end binocular manufacturer in the world, including Pentax,
claims a number like that for *system* performance, not single interface
performance.  I'd strongly suspect there's another nine in that number
by now.

There's also that the colour rendition is visibly different between FA
and DA lenses.  Something has changed in the colour transmission curves.
Might be the glass, but quite possibly also the coatings.

-- Graydon