From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Graydon
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:09 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: DA55* 55/1.4 follow-up

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 02:53:34PM -0400, JC OConnell scripsit:
> But your implying that DA coatings are better because the color
> correction is better, I dont agree with that statement as necessarily
> being true.

I'm not talking about colour *correction*; I'm talking about colour
*transmission*.

The blue-indigo-violet end of the spectrum is obviously the hard part,
or it wouldn't be _purple_ fringing, after all.

I've never seen a transmission diagram for a Pentax camera lens; those I
have seen (for high end sport optics) suggest that getting the 'only
about 80% of the far violets make it through' dip out of the
transmission is a recent (last five years) technological change.

> Just because you have a DA lens with whatever coating you feel has
> better color correction than another lens you have, doesnt mean that
> the DA coatings are responsible or that DA coatings have improved
> color correction or that color corrected lenses have not been availble

> before these DA coatings. Color correction has been something that has

> been attacked and addressed since color film was invented, only
> "improved coating on DA lenses" is not fixing what would be a major
> problem which is what visibly poor color correction would be...

Ah, but this is not what I'm trying to talk about; what I'm trying to
talk about when I say "the DA coatings are better" is that it looks to
me as though more of the far violet light is getting through the lens at
all, *not* "accurate far violet light is making it to the sensor".

In another month, I could go find some of the flowers in question and
post some photos; can't do that yet, none of it is in bloom.

-- Graydon

follow the directions.