On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 08:50:44AM -0600, William Robb scripsit:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graydon"
[snip]
> Do you have any recommendations for what's good right now? I don't
> want to spend a fortune, but I realize that a good graphics card is
> going to cost some coin.

Well, if you're consistently making it work, but aren't doing things
like large 3D renders or pipe stress analysis, you might want to look at
the Sapphire Vapor-X HD 4850 512MB GDDR3.

It's a basically stock Radeon 4850, but the cooler is something new from
Saphire; see
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/04/16/review_graphics_sapphire_vapor_x_hd_4850/

They're seeing the chip run at 35 C instead of the 60 C with the
reference cooler; this ought to make it quieter, as well as sucking back
considerably less power for the fans, all of which are good for
longevity under load.

It's at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102833

and it looks like NCIX has it as well: