----- Original Message ----- From: "paul stenquist"
Subject: Re: regards PESO 2009 - 052 ...

There are two key phrases that should be applied to any critique: "I think" and "I believe." The critiques that I find offensive, including the below-mentioned example, are those that assume a voice of absolute authority: "The composition is unbalanced, and its oversaturated." That's an opinion, and it should be stated as such. When a critique is not offered as an opinion, it suggests that the critter is more knowledgeable and better qualified than the presenter of the work. That's frequently not the case, as I've found that those who display that level of confidence are usually fooling only themselves. Observing the common courtesy of qualifying one's remarks can go a long way toward making genuine criticism more meaningful and less demeaning.

It goes without saying that any critique is an opinion of the writer. Failing to couch ones opinions with phrases such as "I believe" or "I think" merely tells me that the writer is avoiding the Department of Redundancy Department.

William Robb