There are two key phrases that should be applied to any critique: "I think" and "I believe." The critiques that I find offensive, including the below-mentioned example, are those that assume a voice of absolute authority: "The composition is unbalanced, and its oversaturated." That's an opinion, and it should be stated as such. When a critique is not offered as an opinion, it suggests that the critter is more knowledgeable and better qualified than the presenter of the work. That's frequently not the case, as I've found that those who display that level of confidence are usually fooling only themselves. Observing the common courtesy of qualifying one's remarks can go a long way toward making genuine criticism more meaningful and less demeaning.
Paul

On Apr 17, 2009, at 6:35 AM, mike wilson wrote:

---- William Robb <war...@gmail.com> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "frank theriault"
Subject: Re: regards PESO 2009 - 052 ...

But as for Shel's post from (what was it?) five years ago putting a
permanent chill on "honest and open critiques", well, that's a pile of
hooey.  It put a chill on personal attacks on the photographer that
have nothing to do with the photograph in question.

So what you are saying, in effect, is that every photo posted since then has
been near perfect with just minor flaws?
That, my little wabbit eared friend, is really a pile of hooey.

Extrapolation is the 37th worst form of argument.