On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 05:07:07PM -0400, Adam Maas scripsit:
> Or Pentax Canada has no understanding of the concept of comparison
> shopping. As nice as the Pentax bodies are, who's going to pay $775
> for a FA 35/2 or the same price for a 17-70, let alone $800 for an
> AF540FGZ. Right now Pentax is the unarguable value loser in Canada
> despite the fact that the body prices are finally where they belong.

Last year, I phoned Pentax Canada to ask about the apparent continued
availability of the A* 400/2.8 on their website.

Turns out that, yes, it *is* still available, in the sense that they can
get you one from Japan, but it was also going for 13 kCAD.  (Which was
the currency-converted value of its original introductory list price.)

So the idea that whoever is setting those prices just doesn't believe in
the possibility of internet arbitrage does seem well-supported.  (The
other possibility is that they're a serious pessimist about the loonie.)

-- Graydon