On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 01:47:28PM -0600, William Robb wrote:

> I suspect there is a lot more money flowing through the hands of
> motorsports people. They have access to fairly major sponsors once they get
> past the club racing level, and races do attract paying spectators. Auto
> racing strikes me as a sport for the wealthy, every dog breeder that I know

When I first got my racing license, one of the first things mentioned
in the classroom session is how to make a small fortune in auto
racing: Start with a big one.

Once you have the car, for a cheap class to run, figure $400-1,000 per
race weekend, and 8-12 race weekends a year.

I think that I could mount a creditable effort of the 25 hours at
Thunderhill in a Spec Miata for under $6,000.

It isn't cheap, but it's easy to spend as much on photo gear as you
spend on low budget racing. However, there seems to be no limit as to
how much it is possible to spend on a race effot.

> is what one of the more successful breeders I know calls "dog poor".
> I doubt very much if the situation is different for horse enthusiasts.

I will note that at one point the Chevy Suburban had the "richest
demographic" of any production car, because it was the most
comfortable vehicle that would tow a horse trailer.

Although, most of the folks I know with horses, aren't at that end of
the financial spectrum.

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.