But: I'm impatient.  So whatever your hosting setup is, if I click on
the PESO link and the screen on my browser doesn't have a picture on
it Pretty Damn Quick, I'm not waiting.  For those of you have personal
audiences who'll wait for your crippled-wombat-driven server because
they're your Mom or boyfriend or grad student or whatever, that's
fine, but if you're trying to build an audience (and I acknowledge
that many aren't, and that's fine), you just gotta have a snappy
server.  My time is my most precious commodity.

I'm pretty much the same way, though if it's from someone whose work I generally like I will sometimes let it load in the browser while I read more posts. Slow servers drive me bonkers, though, and there are some PDMLers whose sites take forever and a half to load up all the junk on the page before the actual image shows up.

I should note, I hope I'm not one of them. I know my PHP-based gallery can be a little slow sometimes (shared hosting drawback), but when I post a link to a blog post with a photo in it, the photos seem to come up pretty quick for me (even on other people's computers).

There are surveys that have shown that internet users are very impatient, so I always aim for quick-loading pages. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I have achieved this without user feedback.

John

--
http://www.neovenator.com
http://www.cafepress.com/calemp