On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:01:40PM -0400, John Francis scripsit:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 06:22:19PM -0400, Graydon wrote:
> > Are proper monopods easier?  Is there a mental trick to avoiding the
> > wobble?
>
> Most of the time I used a monopod it was to provide some level of
> support for a long lens (500mm or so).  In that case I've got one
> hand on the camera (on the shutter release button), and the other
> hand pressing down on the front of the lens (or on the lens hood).

Pressing down didn't occur to me, either.  Thanks!

(Partly because I don't have any long refractor lenses, but I'm pretty
sure the technique will adapt.)

> That doesn't wobble very much, and I leave shake reduction on.

I have to admit I don't always remember to turn shake reduction off when
using a tripod, and I've never noticed it having a bad effect.

-- Graydon