On Apr 26, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Adam Maas wrote:

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godd...@mac.com> wrote:

On Apr 26, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

Paul Stenquist wrote:

Certainly not marketable. Most photographers are conditioned to using the rectangle to shape their work. I shot 6x6 for many years. Never did like it, never will. Square is definitely a niche market. And yes, Hasselblad and other MF makers have been successful in that niche, but it's still a niche.

Hasn't even Hasselblad dropped square format?

The company "Victor Hasselblad" doesn't exist anymore. Hasselblad today is just a brand, the cameras are built by Fuji. The classic Hasselblad 6x6 film cameras are all out of production, they disappeared when Hasselblad was
sold.

Godfrey

That's incorrect in all regards.

Hasselblad is the company not just the brand.  The company has had
various owners since Victor Hasselblad sold the company to an
investment firm. Victor Hasselblad AB is currently privately held,
with the majority stockholder being the Shriro Group (who also bought
out Imacon, resulting in the Hassy/Imacon merger). The H-Series
cameras were developed in partnership with Fuji and the H-series
lenses are manufactured by Fuji, but the H series bodies are
manufactured by Hasselblad.

The V-Series 503CW body remains in low-rate production and can still
be purchased new, with or without a CFi digital back.

Not according to the industry sources I spoke to last month, but I didn't pursue it as I have little interest in $60,000 cameras right now.

I'm happy to be incorrect on this, if they're still around. Perhaps I should have prefaced my comment with "I heard from an industry source ..."

Godfrey