---- Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The City of Toronto is holding a photography contest via Flickr [*].
> They plan to use winning pictures in official city business.
>
> I did a double-take at this clause in the agreement [**]:
>
> - You waive all moral rights in any of your winning photos and photos
> that receive honourable mention.
>
> Is that a reasonable condition (or even legal) ?

Probably legal and pretty much standard, these days.  I used to get all upset
about intellectual property rights but I am beginning to think it's an outdated
concept.  If you produce something and place it in the public domain, no matter
what conditions you assign, it _will_ (without a shadow of a doubt) be
plagiarised, stolen, copied or otherwise used by individuals without
acknowledgement.

If you wish to retain your rights you have to follow up any small theft or you
could be accused of allowing your rights to cede by not defending them.  Is it
worth the effort for you?