Well, of course it depends on what you are going to use the lens. OTOH, one of the best Estonian bird and animal photogs answered the question about how much he needs extreme focal lengths very simply - No, I don't need 600 or 800mm, it's heavy to carry and animals are afraid of such a large "eye" - I'm just learning to get closer.

BR, Margus

Graydon wrote:
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:06:34AM +0300, Margus Männik scripsit:
So, boys and girls, we're doomed. There's nothing to whine about
Pentax  (long zoom) lenses quality any more - all those hundreds and
thousands  of crappy pictures will be our own fault.

250mm is long?  That's not reliably enough even for feeder birds.

The 60-250 struck me when I heard about it as a good zoo lens, but it
isn't what I'd even start to call long.

-- Graydon, who figures 800mm is pretty short, most of the time