Hmmmmm... this is going to be touchy, pls see last comment even if you already hate the thread...

Internal reflections are problem, to be avoided. One step is restricting the image circle, the other is that fancy irregular almost perfectly black painting inside the mirror box - oh, forgot some funny shaped surfaces too. But then, the last two are functions of the camera and we may forget them for the moment.

The lens is a piece of design, dreamed by a photographer, converted to a project by an engineer, calculated by a computer, aproved by a market wizard, vetoed by masked persons who won't spend that much... return to step 2, now to be downsized in cost and quality, then down the line again until one of them fails and the lens is either scraped or produced. Hint: there are far more good projects than existing lenses.

In the process of cutting down the big, bad cost, some design compromises are made - so at one point they reduce the amount of glass, plastic, metal and sorcery to the minimum. That means any lens produced would perform better, at a higher cost. In a good world, not much better a lens, by a huge price difference - the last 2~3% to be achieved in quality could cost more than 60% of a product.

Possibly one of the compromises made by Pentax was re-issuing the 200mm 2.8 under a new name, with more eletric paths and a new price tag but with the same optical design and parts. To reduce the costs. Now get that cost reduction one step away and the last shaving you get is not optimizing the baffling system to the (hipotethic) smaller image circle.

Why hipothethic? For a time Pentax wouldn't state as clearly as today the fact they would not release a FF Digital Pentax - so the DA* 200mm 2.8 could be left almost untouched so it would possibly be used by the possible FF camera. AND keep it cheaper to produce. After all, internal reflections can be fought in the camera too... And in order to prevent light falloff and improve quality at the corners you give the image circle some (small) slack. Then you place that lovely black curtain with almost rectangular cutout at the end of the lens... That will keep the light where it's supposed to be.

The issue may be discussed for a good time but the proof is the testing. So far the tests made and discussed indicate some of the lenses deserve a full test, many of them will fail, but possibly one or three will pass. Is [place your your pet lens here] FF-capable? Touchy subject indeed, and right now I'm willing to do and read tests. Call me a material, grumpy, old fool. Yes, and I hate imposed limits too. :-)

LF

ps: hope you don't mind my trimming of the empty lines and the original message down the page.

JC OConnell escreveu:
This is undesireable for DA lenses. Why? Because you
really dont want your lenses to create image circles
way larger than your format on a fixed format ( no
swings, tilts, or shifts ) camera. The reason is
bright objects outside the recorded field of view
bounce around inside the camera and can create or
add unwanted image flare as a result. Its better
to have the image circles just large enough for the
job ( some margin for shake reduction) but not way
larger than needed.

JC O'Connell (mailto:hifis...@gate.net)
"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom" - Thomas Jefferson