Gross defects, probably.  Marginal changes in sharpness, with this image, not
in a million years.

The trees appear to be in a line closest to the camera on the right and
furthest away on the left.  Those in the middle are in focus, the rest are not,
as I would expect at f4.  The leaves are probably moving in the wind, adding to
the impression of blurriness.

The negative has also been scanned, adding even more defects into the mixture.