On May 12, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Cotty <cotty...@mac.com> wrote:

The electronic viewfinder I use on my TV camera is this one:

<http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/view_item_cat.php?catalogue_number=sony_dxf-20w >

it's a high resolution CRT monitor (black and white means easier
focussing - with peaking, a sort of 'unsharp mask' for edges that are in
focus) and it's still not the easiest thing to focus in tricky light.

The EVF that Panasonic puts into the G1 is not quite that high end, and presents a color view as that's what people shooting stills want to see. But it is indeed the single most expensive component in the camera, even more expensive than the imaging sensor, according to one of the interviews that were done during PMA with the Panasonic technical representatives.

Since I acquired a small HD video camera, I am learning about lower
quality EVF use. The small camera has a flip-out LCD that is reasonably
good 2.8" 208,000 pixel colour screen, and a much smaller .4" 235,000
pixel screen down a cupped eyepiece. The quality is simply not good
enough to use for critical manual focus control in HD as is - so they
have a focus aid whereby the monitors are turned to monochrome, and a
system of red 'highlights' defines the edges of anything in focus. In
practice it works very well and I use it always. I do not know how it
would be possible to accurately focus manually otherwise, and I can only
assume that still cameras with EVFs must be the same.

I think we had established in a prior conversation that the G1 EVF is about 800x600 pixels ... 480,000 pixel display ... with linear RGB refresh at ~60hz. The LCD is about the same as the resolution you're calling out above and is harder to focus with unless you use the magnification assist.

Of course, you have focus confirmation with optical VF systems, do they
have this with EVFs as well?

Focus confirmation with AF lenses. Focus-assist magnification with manual focus only lenses, not confirmation (CDAF can't do focus confirmation on manual focus far as I'm aware...). The focus transition point is very easy to see with MF assist turned on.

(NB I do not use autofocus with moving images - video - ever. Any hunting or change of focus would simply ruin the shot.)

Absolutely! A world of difference between auto focus motion tracking for a still camera and doing that with a motion capture.

Godfrey