On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:08:40AM -0600, William Robb wrote:

> [...]

I doubt it.  I think the K7 may well be the last DSLR from Pentax;
certainly the last high-end model (think PZ-1p/MZ-S, which marked
the end of technological advancement on the PEntax film bodies).
The future is in cameras with far less mechanical parts - definitely
no mirror box and moving mirror, and probably no mechanical shutter
either.  Mechanical assemblies with many moving parts are expensive
to manufacture, and tricky to align correctly.

The 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras have shown that you don't even need a
sensor as large as 16x24mm to produce image quality more than good
enough for the upper end of the mass market, which is where Pentax
target their products.  By going to a micro 4/3 camera complete with
EVF Pentax will be able to achieve the "smaller, lighter" goal that
Hoya seem to have in mind.  A camera with a 36x24mm sensor will not.