----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel J. Matyola"
Subject: Re: May PUG is up

>I think we would have better participation if we talk it up a bit
> about a week before the deadline.
>
> I like the idea of a "themed" gallery, and always find it highly
> interesting.  I think we need to help Scott out by reminding each
> other of the PUG and the deadline each month.  It would also help if
> folks would comment on the PUG entries the way we comment on the
> PESOs.
>
> Two or three years ago, we used to get 20-40 PUG entries.  This is an
> example:
> http://pug.komkon.org/06aug/index.html
>
> The PENTAX Photo Gallery is a permanent gallery.  PESOs and GESOs come
> and then vanish into the ethernet.  I think that the PUG is a very
> enjoyable and useful concept, and that participation and appreciation
> would both increase if we pay some attention to it.

Heck, when I was maintaining it we used to get ~100 entries (and I was hand
coding the pages, none of this namby automatic stuff they have now).
You are right about PESOs and the like. They come and go, but I think if
people want an online gallery to permanantly showcase their work, the PUG is
a really good concept. There is no jury telling you your work isn't good
enough, so it is inclusive no matter what level of photography you are at.
For me, this puts it several steps more desirable than the PPG.

William Robb