On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM, William Robb <war...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Heck, when I was maintaining it we used to get ~100 entries (and I was hand
> coding the pages, none of this namby automatic stuff they have now).
> You are right about PESOs and the like. They come and go, but I think if
> people want an online gallery to permanantly showcase their work, the PUG is
> a really good concept. There is no jury telling you your work isn't good
> enough, so it is inclusive no matter what level of photography you are at.
> For me, this puts it several steps more desirable than the PPG.

I think that one of the problems (at least for me) is that I can't
load up several months in advance.  I went to submit for the June
gallery and found that I couldn't.  June's only two weeks away.
Unless I'm reminded again when the loading page is ready (that's
assuming that I notice the post) I'll likely forget to download June's
image.

I also think that part of the excitement of PUGs for me was that it
became a ritual on the first of each month:  look excitedly to see who
submitted what, comment on list, read others' comments on the list -
there was always a buzz!

Now we don't know when a particular month will be posted, but it's
rare to be posted much before the end of the month.  It's hard to get
excited about doing this with everything so uncertain on any given
month.

That being said I also realize that this is a volunteer-run enterprise
and Scott's doing this in his spare time on his dime, so I'm certainly
not complaining about him or his involvement in this.  Scott, you're
doing a great job on this thankless stuff!

cheers,
frank