paul stenquist wrote:

>Every half stop is critical when you're mixing flash and daylight.
>I've shot outdoor wedding ceremonies that were under a gazebo with a
>lit background. I need the higher shutter speed both to open the stop
>a bit and keep the shutter speed high enough for can't miss
>handholding. A faster flash synch speed is something that should be
>available at this price point. DOF is just one small part of the
>equation.

I too am disappointed at the 1/180 flash sync speed. The difference
between 1/180 and 1/250 can indeed be significant, making the
difference between a shot that's saleable and one that isn't. I was
once shooting finish line photos in a marathon which had the runners
coming in with the sun at their backs -- poor planning on the part of
the race organizers, eh? ;-) I was using the PZ-1p at the time and
could see the difference 1/250 made between "marginally acceptable"
and "completely unacceptable" or between "acceptable" and "good".
(And full sun backlight makes the power loss of Hish Speed Sync flash
unacceptable.)

Or, put another way: The difference between 1/180 sync and 1/250 may
not be huge, but in some circumstances it can be *much* bigger than
the difference between a consumer-grade "kit" lens and the thousand
dollar pro lens so many of us (justly) lust over.