I just purchased an Epson Perfection V30 from NewEgg.com on sale for
less than 50 bucks shipped. I have been using it for several days now
making copies of old (50 years plus for some) 8x10 B&W and Color
prints for which the negs are long gone. I am very pleased with the
quality and convenience. The quality is several stages better than
what my old Canon 660U provided, and I thought it was a great scanner.
But 8 years of technology go a long way!

I have also copied old prints using my K20, as Ken did. The results
were quick and painless, and the resulting images are as good as with
the Epson. It would totally depend on the situation at hand. If I
didn't have a scanner I seriously doubt that I would buy one if I
seldom needed or wanted one, especially when I knew that the dslr
would do just as well.

Walt

 The quality of the scans are amazing from my epson