On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:

>> I wasn't aware that the VAT was lower on used items or calculated on
>> margin instead of selling price.
>
> The VAT rate is the same.

The effect is a lower rate if calculated on margin rather than selling price.

>> However it simply isn't invisible to
>> the buyer since they can still see non-VAT pricing via the net.
>>

> Really? On second-hand goods? Where? There may be different rules for
> distance trade, but generally if you sell to a non-EU buyer it is the
> buyer's responsibility to claim the VAT back - the seller still has to
> charge it and pass it on to the government. In the case of second-hand goods
> under the margin scheme the seller doesn't know what the VAT will be until
> he's actually sold the item.
>
> It wouldn't make much sense commercially to quote the VAT separately because
> a) he might not get the quoted price and b) he's revealing his margin and
> giving the buyer a big bargaining chip.
>
> I think a more likely scenario is that the seller quotes a price without
> listing VAT separately then, when the selling price has been agreed he
> either deducts the VAT at source or tells the buyer how much to reclaim.
>
> Bob

Bob,

When shopping used, most use either eBay or KEH are a pricing guide.
Neither includes VAT in pricing. Though I doubt most are thinking much
beyond 'UK pricing is awful' rather than 'the difference is the VAT'.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca