----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Maas"
Subject: The Leica as a Teacher

Anybody else read
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/05/a-leica-year.html
Mike Johnston's little ode to simplicity and the Leica as a teacher.

How eerie is that.
On May 12, 2002, I came up with this little nugget:

I believe there is a photographic equivalent of music theory
that the student needs to learn, in order to excel at the art
and craft of photography. Visual theory at it's most basic is
the building blocks of imagery, whether photographic or other.
Theory such as how light interacts with shape and form, how
perspective changes depending on angle of view. This is best
learned with simple tools, anything else complicates the
learning process.
If one is learning to compose music, one starts with a single
instrument, such as a piano. I think it very rare for a student
of music composition to start by composing a full orchestral
symphony.
I played the trumpet when I was younger.
A simple instrument, with only 3 keys.
In a way, perhaps there is an equivalency here, as a camera only
has 3 controls for making pictures, no matter how many buttons,
control dials, and inscrutable custom functions they put on the
camera to complicate things for us.
But, I digress.
I never got really good at the trumpet, in my hands the
instrument had all the positive attributes of a chainsaw with a
burned out governor.
I learned enough about music to realize I would never be a
Sousa, or an Armstrong.
Hell, when I figured out I would never be an Alpert, I gave up
the trumpet.
I found other fish to fry. I discovered cameras.
I also discovered that much of what I learned from music was
applicable to photography at one level or another.
I may have a tin ear, but I found I have a pretty good eye for
pictures.
What I learned playing the trumpet, albeit badly, was that there
is a need to learn the basics. One needs to learn scales, and
finger patterns on the keys to make the notes come out the way
they are supposed to. One needs to learn how to blow into the
instrument in the right way to make the right noise.
One needs to learn that when giving a Christmas concert outdoors
when it is -30, the mouthpiece should be kept in an inside
pocket to keep it warm between songs.
Some lessons are learned harder than others.
One needs to have a thick skin to not be overly discouraged by
failure, or the embarrassment of having a trumpet stuck to ones
face in front of the Prime Minister.
But, I digress.
In photography, one needs to learn about light and shadow first.
One doesn't need a zoom lens for this. Often, the added visual
confusion that a zoom can create can interrupt this learning
process.
I am not saying there is not a place for zoom lenses in
photography. The zoom, in the hands of a skilled and visually
adept person is a powerful tool.
All I am saying is that it is not the tool to learn the very
basics of visual theory with.
For this, a prime lens, and one that closely matches the human
eye's field of vision is preferable. By sticking with a
"natural" perspective to start, we can learn more easily how
what we see in three dimensions will translate to two, or how
what we see in colour will translate to black and white.
By learning the fundaments first, with simple tools, I think we
will be better visual artists later.

William Robb