On Jun 3, 2009, at 16:34 , Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

it's never the OS.  It's ALWAYS the network.

The network that Micro$oft uses to keep track of your every keystroke
so they can
find where you are and take away your stolen copy of their Windows baby?

That network?

When I worked for Sun Microsystems, they had all the signs all over the place "The Network Is The Computer".

I put a sign on my door after the fourteenth outage in a week, "If 'The Network Is The Computer', my computer is a doorstop."

Of course, I did all my real work there on an Apple anyway.

Funny… My first job designing a web site (other than my own) was for the Seattle International Film Festival back in 1994 or 5, and they insisted I do it on a couple of borrowed Sun machines that would run the Mac OS (7?)under a beta version of whatever they called the patch that allowed that to work, sorta. Spent a lot of time on the phone with Sun, and had a few visits from their only rep who knew how it was supposed to work before the site went up. At the time, it was a terror for a Mac user to be dumped into Sun console mode, without a clue.

Now the same Sun machine is at RE-PC, our local recycle/reuse warehouse, in their "As Is" area, for $15.00, right next to the $10.00 Sony VHS VCRs. I picked up few (6) of their VCRs about 4 years ago for a project, and every one of them worked just fine. I suppose the Suns do as well.

Joseph McAllister
Lots of gear, not much time

http://gallery.me.com/jomac
http://web.me.com/jomac/show.me/Blog/Blog.html