-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Frantisek Vlcek
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 1:30 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: choosing M42 body - finder brightness

Hi,
   I ask the help of fellow screwy lovers (ehm), am in need of some
   screwy body... <VBEG>

   I am interested in finding an M42 body for some of my screwmount CZJ
   lenses**1), which I love to use but don't because I dislike fiddling with
   adapters from K to 42.

   What I *need* is bright, high-magnification viewfinder with *bright*
   focusing screen! At *least* as bright as my Pentax K2DMD, preferably
   BETTER!**2)

   What is the best M42 camera based on that criterion? I will ask about
   other criteria later on.

   (considering either Spotmatic, Asahi SV, another pre-spotmatic
   body, or a 3rd party M42 body like from Cosina or Vivitar)

   Basic needs for the body: purely mechanical, no batteries (except meter
   if applicable), meter _not needed_, standard M42 autoaperture plate, DOF
   preview, rapid-return mirror, 1/1000 speed or higher is minimum,
   reliability, if ttl meter than it _needs_ to be able to meter
   easily with all M42 lenses **3). MLU would be a nice boon, either
   switchable or via selftimer. Quitness is a plus of course, it
   should be less noisy than a K2DMD _at minimum_. Ability to accept
   motordrive would be a nice boon too.

**1:
(the lenses are 1.8/80 and 2.8/20, Carl Zeiss Jena MC both, just in
   case there is some incompatibility with a body, although I doubt it -
after all
   CZ/Pentacon invented the M42 mount in the first place, although
   it gets "credited" as 'Pentax screwmount' nowadays- Phew!)

**2:
(compared to e.g. N. FM2n, the K2DMD's screen is almost full one stop
   dimmer, as tested with FM2N + 1.8/50 vs. K2 + 1.4/50, the FM2n was
   slightly better, even with almost 1 full stop dimmer lens), but
   still the K2 is way better than M42 Prakticas wrt screen. And the
   FM2n has almost about same magnification as the K2DMD finder, not
   like the AF cameras sporting low-low magnification but bright
   finders, which still are impossible to focus through manually

**3: that means the Praktica MTLx series or normal Spotmatic mode -
there is a switch separate from shutter release which 1st: stop down
the lens to selected aperture 2nd: activates the meter. NOT like on
the Zenit, where the switch is built-in into shutter release - that
makes releasing the shutter cumbersome and slow, just plain stupid.

Good light,
 Frantisek Vlcek

P.S.: Kelvin, I will surely ask this on Club M42, but haven't
subscribed yet (too low on free time :( ). Could you please FW my post
there? Thank you a lot!

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com