On Jun 6, 2009, at 22:36 , Rob Studdert wrote:

On 6/6/09, Ken Waller <kwal...@peoplepc.com> wrote:

2005 Porsche Boxster S new - what can I say, simply the best handling
vehicle I've ever driven - not your typical committee car - these are
designed by people that know what a driver wants & provide it.

This is the hardest thing to convey to anyone who just thinks a car
has four wheels and gets you from point a to point b. Porsche makes
driver's cars straight off the factory floor, I wish I still was able
to afford one (or two as used to be the case).

Amen.

I'll never be able to afford an old 914, because to be in good enough shape it would have to have been so carefully cared for, and have low mileage to boot. That would be very expensive. There was a time when you could buy a "body in white" and build your own. It's the body that ultimately gives up. You can tell it's getting old by taking off the roof and driving it hard. If the car seems to oversteer with only a little steering input, the car frame is twisting and is no good. Because they are tight cars, if you run them hard, over time the spot welds begin to work, and body strength and stiffness goes away. Water can get in the seams, and rust follows, usually starting at the rear of the front fender wells where the front trunk wall and the fender come together. Hose out behind the "rocker panels" from the front wheel well and engine compartment until water squirts out around the jack sockets. If water doesn't come out around the jack holes, you have to drill out the rivets that hold the rockers and kick panels in place, then clean up and apply wax or repaint any bad spots. Same goes for the front turn signals. Remove them and clean the area inside the fenders thoroughly. Most attention should be payed to the right hand side trunk lid torsion bar retaining bolt and mount near the battery, and the battery support structure, both of which tend to be surrounded by battery fumes (even maintenance free batteries breathe all the time). After modifying the factory bolt mounts so they would drain, some aftermarket versions appeared and could be welded on to replace the corroded ones. If you see a 914 with the right front of the trunk lid raised up from half an inch to two inches, this has not been done. The headlight bucket drain tubes should be kept clear, as should the two drain tubes in the front trunk, and the four drain tubes in the rear trunk. They tended to get clogged with sand from the trunk or mud from the road. The front and rear bumpers, the rubber seals around both trunk lids need to be removed periodically, and everything cleaned up. The rubber seal channels will hold water under the seal, and corrode away. Behind the bumpers need to be cleaned and waxed every couple of years. The drivers side floor carpet should be removed (it just sits there, no glue) every time you wash the car and vacuum under it. Keep that area clean and dry. Wet shoes, snow on boots, etc, all do damage to that area. The clutch cable needs to be cleaned and lubricated fairly often, as it gets greasy, then sand sticks to it, and it eats away at the clutch cable pulley (which I used to replace every couple of years) and itself, then breaks. The rear calipers also act as the emergency brake through a mechanical linkage. The brake is adjusted at the caliper by an allen head screw that you screw out to allow new pads to be put in, then screw in until the pads are just touching the rotor. What happened to me on several occasions is that the steel allen head screw would corrode in the aluminum caliper, and the head would get stripped out. So I always advised to back the screw out and screw it back in every couple of months in the winter. Just count the turns.

If any of you pick up a 914 for fun driving anytime, keep a copy of this email, and you'll be able to care for it properly, or at least find out where it's screwed up.

Can you tell I was the Potomac (Washington D.C.) Region Technical Chairperson for the Porsche Club of America from 1979 to 1982?

Anyway, I've test driven several late 80's 928 S cars over the past few years. If I stop being a photographer and sell ALL my camera equipment, I can probably buy one in OK condition. But that won't happen. No. Never happen.

Thanks for reading.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

http://gallery.me.com/jomac