Igor, it is known fact that when focusing FA 100/3.5 and its siblings, the whole lens assembly is in motion. That is, all glass pieces move together. This is very interesting, though it seems that toward macro range the lens is changing its focal length. I am saying so because I observe that when I focus the field of view changes as well. FA 100/3.5 is surely a fascinating optic, although simple.

In #1 I must admit that I was starting to feel every so slightly dizzy due to the very subtle wind. Also I am generally not all that steady as some other photographers ;-). But I should practice more both to improve my skills and to enhance my mind's stability ;-).

It seems to me that you wanted to send some links to the number of flower pictures, but you did not.

The reflection shot you posted is rather different than those of mine. Yours seems to be in controlled environment ;-).

Thanks!

Boris

Igor Roshchin wrote:
Boris,

Of the three shots, I like the first the most.

I've been experimenting with shooting various berries and fruits
in the past few years, and I've been getting some similar shots, and
what I concluded for myself that in most cases (especially in shots
similar to your #1 and #2 by composition), I like seeing more DOF.

In #1 I would've tried to make sure that [almost] all stamens (anthers
in particular) are in focus.
By association, I recalled a few shots of mine related to raspberries
which illustrate what I mean.
It is also a raspberry "flower":
IMGP9428.jpg
IMGP9503.jpg
IMGP9527.jpg In these three, I also would like to see large DOF, especially in the
last two.

As for #3, - as in this one, I find that "frontal" shots of some flowers
don't work for me. I discarded many of mine for this reason.

And to complete the raspberry theme:
http://www.komkon.org/~igor/PHOTOS/Raspberries/IMGP9655e.jpg
(I posted this here 1.5 years ago)

Igor