Boris,

Yes, I find that all macro lenses and macro filters decrease DOF.
The higher the magnification, the shallower the DOF.
(As Bob mentioned, - bellows is a solution, but I have never tried
that myself.)
I usually try to close down the aperture to enhance DOF.
For many shots I am using F-DA 100/2.8 Macro, and sometimes even
in a combination with a Pentax TC - following the idea mentioned
by somebody most likely on PDML.

Here are the links to the raspberry "flowers" shots.
Sorry, that what happens when one is trying to multitask and the
message is written over a course of several hours/days. :-)

http://www.komkon.org/~igor/PHOTOS/Raspberries/IMGP9428.jpg
http://www.komkon.org/~igor/PHOTOS/Raspberries/IMGP9503.jpg
http://www.komkon.org/~igor/PHOTOS/Raspberries/IMGP9527.jpg

They all are done in a controlled environment, but DOF problem is
the same. In your case, - it is just more complicated.
(Upon a quick look, I didn't find any of the ones I took in the "wild"
handy, - I didn't quite like them, hence I didn't bother to post
them anywhere.)

By the way, for some macro shots, I found Pedco UltraPod II to be
quite useful:
http://www.rei.com/product/777250
http://www.pedcopods.com/specsup2.htm
It is inexpensive, light, and compact. It is not perfect, but helps:
It is sturdy enough for *istDS, and I would expect it to provide
reasonable stability even with a havier camera, e.g. K20D.

Igor