On 6/8/09, Paul Sorenson <allarou...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I grew up in a small town north of Madison, WI and 500 was the game to play
> if we couldn't get enough players for a game of "real" ball.  We played with
> a softball or a baseball, which ever one of us could come up with.  Most of
> us didn't have the money for a glove, so we played bare handed for the most
> part.

Dad was stationed in Germany from 83 to 86.  We lived in an apartment
complex that was 6 buildings, arranged in a large rectangle, with a
common area in the middle that consisted of one small playground, a
couple picnic tables, and a whole lot of grass.  We combined our love
of American football with our newfound interest in soccer and created
what some of us called No-Rules-Rugby.  (For the record, none of us
knew what Rugby really was.)

In a nutshell - lay out a field and put the ball on the center line.
Teams (more or less evenly divided) lined up on opposite goal lines.
Someone said "go" and the ball was in play until it crossed a goal
line or some dufus ran it out of bounds.  At which point we'd argue
about who actually had possession and then throw the ball back into
play soccer-style.  The ball could be passed in any direction.  It
could be carried, kicked or thrown.  Scores were made by simply moving
the ball over the goal line any way possible.  Tackles meant that
there was going to be a fight for possession.  Tripping was cool, as
was clotheslining, punching and kicking.  Biting was frowned upon, but
not necessarily illegal.  Weapons were out unless both teams agreed to
it, and the game with the jump rope on the field was particularly
memorable.

We played some variation of that game for two summers until some kid
broke a bone and just about everyone else got a whipping for it.

--
Scott Loveless
Cigarette-free since December 14th, 2008