Paul,
I don't doubt what you say, but my experience was different.
I'd see the 20 somethings playing after work in Grant Park.
They were all baseball jocks who were trying to out do each other.
The slow pitched 16 inch softball looked like a watermelon hanging
over the plate.
The guys would twist up into a might wind-up and then
pound that ball with all they could muster!
Results were simple outfield flys to the fielders who never played too deep.
No home runs, never hit over the outfielder's heads...just couldn't.
Most of them never got it and continued to make outs this way.
Regards,  Bob S.