I'd ignore the colors at this point since they don't seem to correspond to aspheric or spherical elements. The front element doesn't seem to separate I think it's a single piece of optical plastic, though a very tough plastic since ie doesn't seem to scratch at all easily. I believe the culprit is the second element from the right. I think the pink colored elements are low dispersement glass.. I assume the green means a completely plastic element. . The lens itself easily disassembles into two parts. I took one of mine apart, the one where the element separation eventually occurred, to clean some sand out of the works originally, and later to try to determining if I'd gotten an internal element dirty when said element began separate. When the separation is well progressed it is easy to see, looks kind of like a large cataract.Of course I could be completely wrong, but the separation occurs in one of the rear groups.

Keith Whaley wrote:
P. J. Alling wrote:
That seems like a good price for it. It's life span is problematic as the separation can happen while it's simply sitting on a shelf. The problem was an aspheric element that was a spherical glass lens molded into an optical plastic element with the same refraction index. (It shows as one lens element in the optical formula http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/zooms/_optics/28-70f4.gif ).

Which one? There are green, red and clear elements on that image.
Any chance it's the front-most (green) element?

Thibouille wrote:
Yeah I remember that and if I remember well, not easily repairable by Pentax.
I wonder if at 50 Euros it would be worth the try r not.

I just got mine back from Pentax, and they charged a shade over US$80.
Of course, I don't know how long it will last, nor how good a job they did. (That's one thing about film. Takes a while to get the results! We get spoiled!)

However, Pentax did say what work was done, just not specifically.
Sort of like they replaced and repaired all necessary, tested focus and zoom with an AF test body, tested the lens electronically, etc.

It's entirely possible they simply replaced that lens assembly with off the shelf stock. You're not going to get much labor (time) out of a $49.51 labor charge!
Nor, for that matter, much out of a parts charge of $26.66!

Ahhh well. I'll put a roll thru the camera and wring out the lens.
I don't yet have an interchangable lens DSLR, so it will HAVE to be film!

I would expect that if I don't subject the lens to extremes of temperature, and avoid shock, it might last for a very long time!