I'm sure Marnie's mailbox thanks you...

Joseph McAllister wrote:
On Jun 10, 2009, at 01:18 , AlunFoto wrote:

All said, I think the variation in mottling of the red colour on the
sign surface indicates there must be some random error introduced by
your image processing here. Hard to tell how this influence the
apparent sharpness, but I suspect it does, at this level. You also
have a slight variation in selected aperture between lenses, which you
haven't explained. If based on info about maximizing MTF, I'd
understand, otherwise it's just another randomizer.

As I said, this was shot in MTF mode, so in Pentax's theory, all lenses were shot at their most favorable aperture.

Because shot #5 was a bit brighter than the others as rendered, I did lighten by exposure in Aperture all the others. Probably would look different if I'd just darkened the one. And one of them I had to straighten, as it was tilted. Both actions taken not knowing I'd be going to such high magnification to display them.

I looked at these much the same as did you, but I also included the rendering of the upper left while line of the octagon. It has a good upper left edge white to almost black, and white to red in the inside. Less bleeding on either edge I judged to be sharper. And the bird poo was too soft edged in reality to be much help in judging. But the center of it provides some contrast hints between red and white.

Thank you all for looking. Bob S., Jack Davis, Walter Hamler, Ken Waller, Mike Wilson, Jostein, and John Francis for joining in lens-wise.

If anyone wasn't keeping score, the tally at this point (and I expect no more) is

#1 DA 18-250        0 points
#2 FA 28-105        6 points
#3 DA 50-200        1 point
#4 Tokina 80-200    1 point    ATX Pro
#5 FA 28-70            3 points
#6 DA 17-70            0 points

"Best" votes and "Tied for First" votes were counted, including mine, which was #2. BUT, given the vagaries of the rendering, and the hand holding by an old unsteady hand, I think I learned some things. I will repeat the test with my Edmond Scientific lens chart, from a tripod, etc, and do the judging myself so as not to burden the list, nor Marnie's mailbox, any more. I will post my findings, once I have them, but today I have other things to do.

Thanks again!

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn’t need to lug a camera.”
–Lewis Hine

The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or
drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn
fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a
free man any more than a dog.

        --G. K. Chesterton