Hi Jody,
Welcome back. We certainly did miss you.
The problem with your LX wasn't really a problem. You just had the
shutter speed dial set to "A," aperture priority mode. When you
depressed the shutter release, you heard the shutter open but it never
closed because it wasn't getting  any light with the lens cap on. That's
why it wouldn't wind on. As soon as you took the lens cap off, the meter
calculated that it had enough light, and closed the shutter. Then you
were able to wind on.
Paul Stenquist