What formats?

if 35mm only, you really do want to track down a dedicated scanner for
best results. The Minolta Scan Dual and Scan Multi Pro models are good
and can be had cheaply. You will need also buy Vuescan to use them on
Vista or OS X 10.4 or later. The Nikon Coolscan's are also good and
only a bit more on the used market. The Nikon 4000 and 5000 are king,
but cost like it too.

For Medium Format or sheet film, I recommend the Epson's. V500 for MF
and V700/V750 for a do-everything scanner. Betterscanning.com 120
holders and ANR inserts are also well worth investing in as the Epson
120 holder is flimsy and poor at holding film flat.

Other options are even better, but have serious costs (Nikon 8000 or
9000, Imacons).

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas