Thanks Adam and Rob on your thoughts on the scanners....Joe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Studdert" <distudio.p...@gmail.com>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 9:40:49 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: scanners

On 30/06/2009, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:
> What formats?
>
> if 35mm only, you really do want to track down a dedicated scanner for
> best results. The Minolta Scan Dual and Scan Multi Pro models are good
> and can be had cheaply. You will need also buy Vuescan to use them on
> Vista or OS X 10.4 or later. The Nikon Coolscan's are also good and
> only a bit more on the used market. The Nikon 4000 and 5000 are king,
> but cost like it too.
>
> For Medium Format or sheet film, I recommend the Epson's. V500 for MF
> and V700/V750 for a do-everything scanner. Betterscanning.com 120
> holders and ANR inserts are also well worth investing in as the Epson
> 120 holder is flimsy and poor at holding film flat.
>
> Other options are even better, but have serious costs (Nikon 8000 or
> 9000, Imacons).

I have to agree with Adam's selection though the Minolta AF-5400 II is
a worthy contender for best 35mm film scanner IMO. I own the Konica
Minolta
AF-5400 II, Epson Perfection V700 Photo and the Nikon LS-8000 ED, each
do what they do very well, that's why I have one of each.

--
Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA